Black spots are pretty common in humans, but they can be a bit of a nuisance. Black spots on the skin appear as small dark patches and usually represent an excess of melanin, the pigment that gives hair and skin their color. However, many people prefer to go with black spots or pigmentation treatment procedures to get rid of dark spots quickly for personal reasons.
In this blog, we are going to talk about the causes of dark spots and the treatment methods that help you get rid of them. Let's dig in.
Symptoms of Dark Spots
The color of the dark spots can be anywhere from light to dark brown. The hue of dark spots might vary depending on a person's complexion. These spots are usually painless and have a similar texture to your skin.
Dark spots have various sizes and can appear on just about any region of the body, though they are most prevalent in places that are frequently exposed to direct sunlight.
The following locations are prone to dark spots:
- Back of the hands
If you experience any of these symptoms, it's important that you avoid using chemical-based cosmetics.
Causes of Dark Spots on Skin
Dark spots can appear on the skin for multiple reasons. Here's a list of some of the most common reasons for black spots on the face or any other part of the body:
- Sun Damage: People can develop dark spots or pigmentation after being exposed to direct sunlight for a long time. These kinds of dark spots are also known as sunspots, liver spots, or sun lentigines. Usually, only the areas that are directly exposed to the sunlight develop sunspots, including hands, face, neck, and legs.
- Hormonal Changes: According to a study by the American Academy of Dermatology, hormonal changes can often trigger skin conditions like melasma. This is a skin condition that often leads to small patches of skin discoloration or pigmentation. It's a common condition seen in women, especially during pregnancy.
- Side Effects of Medications: Dark spots and skin pigmentation can be caused by some prolonged use of medications.
- Inflammation: If your skin experiences some sort of inflammation, it can develop black spots. This kind of skin inflammation can occur for several reasons like eczema, psoriasis, acne, or skin injury. For example, severe acne can cause black spots on the face and neck.
- Wound Healing: Black patches can appear on your skin after the skin wounds heal from insect bites, cuts, or burn. However, with proper care, they will fade away with time.
- Irritation: Sometimes, cosmetics and other skin products may also cause irritation to the skin, leading to black spots.
- Diabetes: Diabetes can cause a few places of the skin to become darker. This kind of skin condition that is related to diabetes is called acanthosis nigricans, which often causes dark and shiny spots. People can also suffer from diabetic dermopathy that looks like age spots.
How to Remove Dark Spots?
Most dark spots usually don't require any kind of treatment as they vanish from your skin with the passage of time (It can take months and, sometimes, years). However, many people opt to go through pigmentation treatment to remove dark spots from their skin. Here's a list of Biotique products that can help you reduce dark spots and get spotless skin:
Biotique Clear Improvement Vitamin C Sleeping Mask
This organic sleeping mask from Biotique contains highly potent Vitamin C that fights uneven skin tones and dark spots. Biotique Clear Improvement Vitamin C Sleeping mask contains tangerine, peach, and melon that are rich in Vitamin C. Just apply it on your face and neck and leave it for 15 - 20 minutes. After that, rinse it with clear water. It illuminates the skin, reduces dark spots, and lightens signs of pigmentation, making it a natural pigmentation treatment mask.
Biotique Clove Oil Control Anti-blemish Face Pack
This 100% chemical-free organic face pack is the perfect product to wash excess oil away from your skin and reduce acne and blemishes. Packed with the natural healing power of clove, mint, and Indian gum, this anti-blemish face pack controls pimples, absorbs excess oil, and cleanses the impurities from your skin to fight acne and the black spots related to it. Apply it once every day for 15 - 20 minutes to get blemish-free, smooth, and clear skin.
Biotique PAPAYA Tan Removal Brightening & Revitalizing Face Scrub
Uneven skin tones that occur because of tanning can be pretty stubborn and refuse to go away. But not anymore. Biotique PAPAYA Tan Removal Scrub can remove the tan and revitalize your skin with 100% safe botanical extracts. This scrub contains papaya, neem, banana, dates, and fenugreek seeds that gently dissolve the dead skin cells and unclog pores to uncover the natural brightness of your skin.
Clinical Study Related to Natural Remedies
Skincare products that are made of 100% natural ingredients and ayurvedic herbs, such as Biotique face wash for dark spots, can help in treating black spots. To see if natural ingredients can really treat dark spots, several researchers used natural products like neem, papaya, peach, clove, tangerine, and more to do a systematic clinical study.
The study results show that remedies using natural products can lighten hyperpigmentation, one of the biggest reasons for dark spots. Another study showed that using aloe vera gel can reduce the symptoms of melasma in women who are pregnant for more than five weeks.